Shinfield St Marys C E Junior School, Reading
New extension and refurbishment works
KCS Consulting Limited were instructed by Lakehouse to carry out the full Mechanical and Electrical Design and Inspection of the new extension block, refurbishment of specific areas within the existing school building and building thermal modelling to demonstrate the best design options, identify best passive solutions, compare low-carbon technologies, and draw conclusions on energy use, CO2 emissions, occupant comfort, light levels, airflow and compliance with Part L. Due to the extent of refurbishment and the limited 'as built' information KCS Consulting 3D scanned the building using a Faro scanner.
The mechanical services design consisted of the following:
- A new plantroom which consist of gas fired boilers to serve the new underfloor heating system
- A new gas fired water heater
- A new local ventilation system for the WC and cleaner's cupboard
Dedicated gas-fired condensing boilers serve an optimised and compensated LPHW underfloor heating system within the classrooms. A gas fired hot water heater provided domestic hot water supply with secondary return to ensure hot water supply is available and reduce the risk of legionella.
The electrical services design consisted of the following:
- High resolution CCTV system
- External Carpark lighting
- A New fire alarm loop incorporated within the schools existing system consisting of automatic detectors, manual points and mechanical plant interfaces
- New distribution boards and associated small power with safety knock off systems within food technology areas
- Intruder alarm circuit incorporated within the schools existing system
- Internal LED lighting and emergency lighting with smart control and self-test capabilities
- Data and Communications system.
The project value was £3,000.000.